Pudsey bear cupcake decoration
Published on By
- Prep Time
Step By Step
- 12 cupcakes
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp milk
- yellow food colouring
- FOR THE BANDANAS AND FACES
- about 150g ready to roll white icing
- icing sugar, for rolling
- Dr Oetker fruity writing icing tubes, or other squeezy icing in similar Pudsey colours
- Handful dark chocolate drops
- 1. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in the icing sugar using an electric mixer. Once it’s all incorporated, beat well until pale and fluffy. Add the salt, vanilla, milk and a few spots of colouring then beat again.
- 2. Spread the cupcakes with an even layer of the buttercream using a palette knife, retaining about one third for the ears and muzzle. Put this into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm round nozzle (or simply snip off the end of the piping bag).
- 3. Pipe two semicircles onto the top edge of each cupcake to make the ears, then use the palette knife to smooth the ears into the head a little.
- 4. Pipe a hazelnut-size ball of buttercream in the middle and slightly to the bottom of each cake. If you can pull the tip of the piping bag slightly upwards towards the top edge of the cupcake as you squeeze, it will become a teddy-bear-nose sort of shape. Add a chocolate drop nose to each cake.
- 5. For the bandana, knead the icing until pliable, then roll out to £1 thickness using a little icing sugar to stop it sticking to the worktop. Cut into finger-width strips about 8cm long. Shape the strips to make bandanas, slightly wider at the top than the bottom, and with a slight curve. You can do this by pressing the icing with your fingers, or shaping with scissors.
- 6. Put a bandana onto each cake. Poke in upside-down chocolate drops for the eyes, then make a cheeky smile for each bear. I found the easiest way to do this was to cut a chocolate drop in half, and poke it into the frosting side-on so that it looks like a semi-circle.
If you’re baking for a baby shower, then you can use this technique to make irresistible pale pink, blue or yellow bear cakes too – minus the bandana and plus a second eye, of course.
Try some other hashtag or username
Subscribe / Connect
Subscribe to my e-mail newsletter to receive updates.