Spiced carrot & lentil soup
Published on By
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, not extra virgin
- 600g carrots, washed and grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock, made with bouillon or a stock cube
- 125ml milk
- plain yogurt and naan bread or flatbreads, to serve
- 1. 1. Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- 2. 2. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
Subscribe / Connect
Subscribe to my e-mail newsletter to receive updates.